Sunday, September 27, 2015

September 19 - Round 33

Course - Eisenhower Red

Playing partners - Rich, Pete, Alex

The purpose of this blog was to allow me (and you) to improve my (your) golf game, by learning from my previous mistakes.
Somehow, I forgot about that today.

The round started off great.  My drive was awesome (I actually drove it into the group in front), and I layed up perfectly to 60 yards.  I was hoping for a soft pitch shot with my sand wedge.
But, I hit it thin, and in the ball flight I figured the ball would bounce near the pin, and roll to the back of the green.
Except it HIT the pin, and landed 3 feet from the cup!

BIRDIE!!

What a great way to start the round.
After parring the 2nd hole (par 3) I played the 3rd hole (par 5) similar to the first.  Great drive, and a lay up (to 70 yards).
Of course, I once again hit the pitch thin, and wound up with a bogie.

But, I shook that off and played the rest of the front 9 damn well.  My drives were straight, and long.  My irons were crisp, and my putting was consistent.
Everything you'd want in a game.

So, I come to the 300 yard 9th hole.  It's an easy hole.  Once again, I hit a great drive - and had 60 yards to the pin.
So, what did I do?  I LOOKED AT MY SCORE!!!

Right!  I didn't learn from my previous lesson, and saw that I had a 36 through 8 holes, and if I birdie the 9th, I could have a 39 on the front!!

So, I line up my pitch.  And I say to myself "DONT HIT IT THIN".
I take on practice swing.
And I again say to myself, "DONT HIT IT THIN"

I set up, and what do I do?

If you guessed than I hit it thin, you were WRONG!!!  I HIT IT FAT!!!!!

Seriously !!!!!   The divot I took looked like half my front lawn!!!
And, the ball went 10 yards.

So, now I am pissed, but hit my lob wedge/pitch to 6 feet above the cup.

This is where I start to lose my mind.  I'm thinking "Make the putt, and walk away with a 40".

What I am NOT thinking is "This is a fast downhill putt, and don't leave the ball too far below the hole".
My putt lips the cup, and rolls 8 feet past the cup.
I lipped out the come backer and left with my head hung low, and a double bogey - 42 on the front nine.

But, I gather my wits about me, and start on the 10 hole.
After double bogeying the 10th, I bogeyed the 11th and 12th.

I had lost my mojo.  The golf gods giveth, and the golf gods taketh away.

But, I was confident that I could finish under 90 - always my goal.

The 17th hole is another par 5.  My drive is off to the right, and fairly short - in the rough.
Instead of choosing my hybrid, I stupidly think I can hit my 4-wood out of the rough and get into a nice layup position.

STUPID STUPID STUPID (don't worry, I'm not done with that word)

The ball goes 20 yards, and winds up in deeper rough.

I wind up with a double bogey, and a headache!

I get to the 18th hole, and hit a booming drive.  If you recall my objective here is always to layup to 60 yards, and hope for a pitch and one putt for par.

Of course today, my mind was thinking "190 to the front, and I can do this"
Not "This is an uphill/sidehill lie, so layup".

I pull my 4-wood (STUPID STUPID STUPID)

              and hit it beautifully - on to the tee of the first hole.
Right behind a tree.

With no swing, I don't even think of pitching, and hit the ball 10 yards into the deepest/wettest rough of the day. My pitch with my lob wedge got caught up, and the ball went into the trap.

Yada Yada Yada - triple bogey!!!

Back 9 score of 49, and a score of 91!!

This score is a product of a total a mental failure.  I believe that between the 9th, 17th, and 18th holes, I could have saved 4-5 shots and finished with an 86 or 87.

PLEASE SOMEONE - SLAP ME UPSIDE THE HEAD WITH A 9-IRON!!!

So, what have I learned today?
I learned that my physical game is doing well.
My mental game needs some work.....
  (to say the least).

This week, I will not be able to hit the range, as Wednesday is Yom Kippur.  Maybe after work one day.

So, until the next tee time

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment