Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 10th - Round 35

Course - Eisenhower Red
Playing partners - Pete, Jason, Anne

Weather - chilly

We had an 8:44am tee time this morning.  At that time, it was a cool 51 degrees.
However, the breeze made it feel like 40!  Brrrrrrr.

The trick to keeping warm is layers.  I have my standard layering that I go with.
First, I have an Under Armor long sleeve Cold Gear shirt.
      Really a must of a golfer who plans to play through some chilly weather.
Over that I have a standard golf shirt.
Over that I have my Under Armor flannel vest.
And, over that I have a flannel jacket.

I also wore pants, and my Addidas Golf Shoes (As opposed to my Foot Joy Ultra lights) as they are waterproof.

During warmups at the range, I keep the jacket on until I start to loosen up and I peel it off.
Today, I didn't peeled it off until the 3rd hole - as the wind was a killer.

I also have a pair of Hand Warmers.  These are little bags that you open up and shake - they turn into mini-heaters.  I keep these in my pants pockets, and it gives some warmth.

Jason is a new playing partner that I met on Golf Match App.  He's 23 and works for the U.S. Open.  Hit's the ball a mile.

Our foursome completed when Ann was put into our group. She was a solid golfer,

At tee time, the temperature was soaring to around 53.  I took off the jacket, but was still stiff from standing around at the first tee.  I hit a nice drive, and a good layup to 60 yards. However, my pitch was long and I ended up with a double bogey - the first of two on the front nine (four for the day).

After parring the par 4 second hole, and bogeying the par 5 fifth hole, I realized that the day would be about scrambling.
After finishing the front nine (with a par on the 9th hole), I assumed the score was BAD.  I looked at my scorecard (on the Garmin) and saw 49 - I was not surprised.
My drives were inconsistent, and I was scrambling to recover from them all day.
Ann made a comment that I was pretty much in the bunkers all day.  This was true, and many of the bunkers were lakes, with the heavy rains from the night before


I felt I played better on the back nine.  Even though I double bogey'd the long par 3 - by skipping my ball over the pond to around 60 yards - and then mis-clubbing when I need to lob one from 80 yards - leaving me in the big bunker.
I had thought I pulled my Pitching Wedge, but had inadvertently pulled the Gap Wedge.
This is one of those mental mistakes that are pretty much unforgivable.
I then wanted to get out of the trap and get the ball all the way back to the pin - and I put too much UMPH into it, and went over the green.

By the time I got to the 18th, I was tired.  It's tough when you play poor golf.  A lot more walking then usual!
I hit a nice drive, and layed up to 60 yards. A pitch and two putts and I was in for bogey.

So, I checked my scorecard - and saw 90!!

I looked over the score, and realized that (without my glasses), I had read the front nine wrong and had a 45.
So, I shot a 45/45.

It was still, kind of disappointing as the season is coming to a close, and by this time of year - I am normally in a groove.

I still needed to look at my round and determine what I could do to improve.  Today, was just "off".  And, I need to stay focused mentally - hard to do when you are cold.  But, as it was the first cold round of the year, I'll take it as a just getting accustomed to Fall Golf.

I've already decided to get up early on Sunday and play again.  Maybe Bethpage.

Until then,

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment