Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Spring Golf - a Love hate Relationship

Most of my golfing friends reside in the Northeast (although some have already retired to more southern regions).
In so much, our golf season lasts 6-8 months, depending on Mother Nature.  At some point in November, we play a round of golf with temperatures in the high 40's, and winds 20-30 miles per hour.  When the round finishes, we have 3-4 layers of clothing on, have a wool beanie on that replaced our golf cap, have our winter gloves on, and our pockets  have used hand-warmers in them.

We grudgingly take our bag out of the car, and put it in the garage for a week or two.  At that time, we give in to fate and carry it down to the basement for storage, and nestle it to the side of your water heater, right next to the shelves that hold your tools, wi-fi router, and 4-5 boxes of golf balls you've acquired over the past 6 months.

And, unless you're lucky enough to travel south for the winter (or take a winter trip), that's where they stay until some warm weather comes back to your region.

For me, in New York, I put the clubs away in Mid-November, and played once in mid-February, when the temps hit 55.

But, realistically, I really started playing in Mid-April.

You can't wait to get out and hit that ball and go chasing it around 18 holes.  Perhaps you buy a new club or two, stock up on balls, get a new golf outfit.(For me, I recently received my new "GolfStuds" cap, towel, and ball mark.)
Me sporting my new GolfStuds cap

And, then the day comes when you can hit the links.  So, you clean off the dust that has accumulated on your clubs, put them in your trunk and drive ever so excitedly, to the course.

And you suck!

I mean, you haven't swung a club in months.  WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??

As such, each year the same frustration hits me as I pass into May and June.  Realization that I am really a bad golfer (relatively speaking).
This year, I've shot (in order): 97, 93, 100(ouch), and 97 this past week.

There are a lot of factors that go along with these high scoring rounds.

First, who in their right mind has high expectations of being good at something that you haven't done in 5 months?
The answer to this is: Pretty much every golfer!

The second is that the weather is pretty much the same as when you finished playing in November.  It's windy, sometimes cold, and just plain nasty.

Playing yesterday, the temperature came into the low 70's. We were in shorts and golf shirts.
Then the wind kicked in.  It felt like a hurricane.  So, in addition to my poor play, I had to deal with 30 mph winds in varying directions.



I mean, my drives started off well, and then sort of went south.  But even when I hit a decent one, the wind carried it into deep rough.

Also note that playing in this type of wind, it's fucking exhausting.  Just standing over your ball requires more muscle usage to keep you balanced.  So, by the 18th hole, you're exhausted and just want to finish the round and get into your car where you don't hear the constant sound of the wind tunnel you've been in for the past 5 hours.

On yesterday's 18th hole, I hit a great drive which the wind pushed into some deep/wet rough.  I stupidly pulled my 7 iron, as I wanted to get close to the green (it was 230 yards away).
I should have gone with a wedge.
The grass grabbed my club and sent it across the fairway into the rough on the other side.

Now pissed and wanting to get the hell off, I pulled out my hybrid (I'm 180 yards out).  The club grabs, and hits under the ball - and it goes about 10 yards.

At that point, I do the smart thing - hit a wedge.

And ended with a triple bogey 7.

Not a great way to end the round.  Both Dan and Steve (my playing partners) where equally frustrated and exhausted.  It was like the BMW commercial 
So, for the most part, Spring golf is a love/hate relationship.

Since I've owned my Garmin GPS, I have all the rounds I've played for me to review.  And, I've noticed that my April/May/June rounds suck.

Yet, on Saturday I'll once again tee it up, with the expectations of shooting in the mid 80's

Thus is the life of your seasonal golfer.
GOLF - I HATE YOU, I LOVE YOU!

Until next time,

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment