Sunday, April 5, 2015

April 5 - first round of the 2015 season

I always seem to play one week too early, as the weather is somewhat inhospitable.

This year was no exception.

On Wednesday I was able to snag a 10:53 tee time at Eisenhower Park (Nassau County) for Easter Sunday.   My playing partners were my buddies "Vak", and Lloyd - and "Vak-jr".

Playing this week poses an additional challenge - food.  
After all, it's Passover.  So, I packed a few sheets of Matzo - with peanut butter, and cream cheese.  
Not what I'd call optimal golf snacks. 

Although I prefer to walk the course, my friend Lloyd requested we drive - so I obliged.  Walking is not only healthier, but it helps my mental part of the game - as it allows me to think about the shot I just made, and what my next shot will be.
Oh well....

We got to the range and I split a bucket with Lloyd, to warm up.  I only use 15-20 balls for warmups - I don't consider this practice.  Just warmup so I don't pull a muscle in this 57 year old body.
I do a handful of squats (to engage the glutes), and swing a club with a weighted donut.

I hit 3-4 shots with a wedge, mid-iron, wood, and driver.  
My shots were remarkably good, considering I haven't played since December.  Perhaps 10 yards short, but I attributed that to the 10-15 mph wind.  

It seemed the weathermen were right.  Mid 50's with 10-15 mph winds.
Well, so far.

As soon as we got to the starter, we were on deck.  So we quickly got our shit together and got to the tee. I had my only new equipment in my bag - my new Bolle sunglasses.  Very cool, if I must say so myself.

So, first shot of the year.  Par 5
Easy swing - my driver hits the dirt and the ball goes roughly 180 yards.  
Ouch.  

Ok.  Write it off to cobwebs, and move on.
This is where I like to walk, as I am able to get my thoughts together.

So, we drive up the fairway.

The course looked ok, so far.

The next few shots were all chunked - finally I realized that my new shades somehow affected my depth to ball, and as soon as I flipped them off during my shot, I hit it square.
So, I would put the shades backwards on my hat - for the shots!  As cool as Hunter Mahan!

We get to the green, and the center looks total burned out.   LOOKED is the key word.

As I tried to putt through it, it turns out it was dead, spongy green - that slowed your ball down to a crawl.  My guess is these spots (on all,the greens) was where the snow had accumulated.   Horrible.

Result - 3-putt

At this point, the winds picked up.  At some points it was a 3 club wind.   

My timing was off.
My balance was off.
So, my game was off.

I quit golf 3 or 4 times during the round. (That's 2 or 3 times more than normal)

The wind picked up as we played.   I had 4 layers on, but the wind just passed through me.
The two middle fingers on my left hand went numb (something like reynards disease). 
So, I'm swinging without feel.
The good news was that I couldn't squeeze the grip too tight!

By the 18th hole, there were 40-50 mph gusts (somehow, always in our face).   The par 5 played a par 6.
I took a 7....

By the end of the round, I (for one) was exhausted.   

Shot a 98 - which was depressing.   (The last round in December I shot 40 playing 9 holes at Merrick Park)

However, it was the kickoff to the new season. In 2014, I was unable to play until June, as I was doing PT to rehab a partially torn labrum in my left shoulder.
So, I was quite happy to just be out.  And yes. The shoulder did ache by the end of the round.

I assume more than a few foursomes walked off the course, as we didn't see a group in front of us.  We played in just over 4 hours.   

So, round 1 is under the belt.  

Looking forward to improvements and better weather.

In the meantime, be well - and keep it on the short hairs. 


Howie



No comments:

Post a Comment