Sunday, February 28, 2016

2016 - Round 2 - Eisenhower Park

Course - Eisenhower White

Playing Partner - Vak

Weather - cold and windy


Vak and I got to the park around 9am for a 9:56 tee time.  The girl checking us in noted that they expected temperatures near 60.  Wind was supposed to be around 10 mph.
We were thrilled.


However, we turned out to be severely disappointed, as the temps felt in the 30's, and probably didn't get past 50 until almost the end of the round.

After hitting a few balls to warm up, we got to the starter at 9:30.  The starter was a kid that looked to be around 16.  As were were on "double deck", we just started to chat.  That's when there was a bit of an argument at the starters booth.  It seems that a single that was to be in the 9:32 tee time was never called.  The kid/starter forgot to call him, and that group went out as a 3-some.  So, this single, was put with us - and he demanded to go right off - which we did.

So, we teed off with Harry at around 9:50.  My first hole was memorable - in a way that a boil on your ass is memorable.  Painful and sore.
I won't go into too many details, but let's just say it was an ugly triple-bogey.

The first four holes went Triple-Bogey, Double-Bogey, Bogey, Par.

At the fifth hole, Vak and Harry broke rule USGA 25.6.
Though shalt not discuss politics while playing a round with strangers.

I don't need to go into details, but one was left, one was right.
I played Switzerland and kept my mouth shut.  I didn't want politics to ruin my round.

I let the wind and cold temperatures do that!!!

Although I pulled out a par on the 4th hole, the only hole I played really well in that front 8 was the par-3 8th.  The temporary tee box was 140 yards out, into a stiff wind.
I opted to go FOUR CLUBS UP, and hit my 4-hybrid.

The ball was hit perfectly (if I must say so myself), and soared (and soared and soared).  The damn ball just kept rising and rising.  I had no way to know if it was short, in the bunker - or long over the back.  But, it dropped in the middle of the green, after which I two putted for par.

I finished the front 9 with a 49, and was already exhausted.

The political narrative ended after the 9th hole. Not because either party decided to move to the center - but because Harry had to leave.

So, Vak and I took to the back 9 as a twosome.   By this time, the sun had shown itself from behind the clouds, and we warmed up.  We both took off the outer layer (leaving 3 more) and played on.

The back nine (for me) was played as "one club fuck up" - meaning on each hole (except one or two), I had one club that I really fucked up.
The only exception to that was the 12th hole, par 5 - and the 18th, par 5.
The 12th hole I actually played well, and was on the green in 3, and two putted.
As a matter of fact, both Vak and I parred that hole.


The 18th?  Well, despite fucking up 3 shots, I still only got a bogey-6.
My drive was so far right, even Marco Rubio would have laughed me off (keeping up with the political tone of the blog entry).

It was so far right, that the group coming up on the 10th hole picked it up, thinking that there was no way someone could hit a shot that far right.  They gave me the ball, and I recovered beautifully with a 4 wood to 120 yards out.  I then completely miss hit an 8 iron (I overswung thinking I didn't have enough club for the wind).  So now I'm 40 yards out, laying 3.
Ready to play my 60 yard pitch, I fucked another shot up and pushed it right to the upslope of the green.  Luckily, I got up and down for a bogey 6.



I finished with a 94.

This is the type of round I would have expected last week after having been off for 3 months.  But, after the 87 last week, I had high expectations for this round.

Never ever ever have high expectations about a golf round.  You will more often than not be disappointed.

You see, I went to hit balls at the PGA Tour Superstore yesterday, to work on my mid-irons. If you recall from last week, I could not hit my 6 or 7 irons worth a damn.
Well, that progressed through my practice at the PGATSS.  I came home from that pretty depressed.

But, today (amazingly) I hit some solid 6 and 7 irons!  Go figure.

There was no rhyme or reason to today's round (except maybe the wind).  I probably fucked up at least one shot with every club in my bag.  There was no exception.  Driver, woods, hybrids, irons and wedges.  Well, the exception was my putter.  I didn't 3 putt all day!

Well, who gives a shit.  I played two round in February!!!!  I know (for those of you not in the northern parts of the country) you might not get this - but golfers up here usually expect their first round to be sometime at the end of March or early April.

This was awesome.

So, until the next Winter round

Keep it in the Short Hairs


No comments:

Post a Comment