Sunday, April 17, 2016

2016 - Round 3 - Eisenhower Park

Course - Eisenhower White

Playing Partner - Vak, Rich, Peter

Weather - Windy, mild

Although this was really the third round of 2016, it was really the first round of the season.  First of all, in New York, only scores between April 1 and October 30 can count towards your handicap.

Second - rounds in the winter suck, and you play just to get out and not kill yourself.

So, although the title is ROUND 3, it's really ROUND 1.

We had a 10:20 tee time on the white course.  This is because the prior Saturday night, when the bell tolled 8pm (when I should be calling for a tee time), I was drinking scotch and not thinking about golf.

So - 10:20 was not so bad, especially when I woke up and it was 39 degrees.

This round's objective was to get through the day without getting injured.  I say this because 4 weeks ago I could not walk.  My back had seized up so bad, I could not walk.  Agonizing pain.  Well, if anyone wants a chiropractor, I can recommend one - highly.
So, my back is still slightly tender.  But, I've hit some balls at the PGA Super Store without issue.  But, today I was playing 18 holes, and walking.

The morning was great.  The air was crisp.  Sun was out, and the starter was on time.  

My first drive was pushed to the right, but I recovered nicely to get on in three. I bogeyed the hole.

The second drive wound up in a fairway bunker, and I was again on in three - but this time I one putted for par.  I thought this was going to be a decent round.

I was wrong

I proceeded to play bogey golf, right up until the 8th hole - a par 3 that they are completely rebuilding.  For those unaware, the course's par 3 holes are all twins.  There are two of the same holes side-by-side. This is supposed to speed up play.  Supposed to, anyway.

One of the holes is closed today as they are building new bunkers, rebuilding the green, etc.
My tee shot came up short and landed in the bunker. As I approach it I see that the bunker looks like the beach at Jones Beach. Millions of footprints.
Rather than raking and replacing my ball, I attempt to hit it - and skull the ball to the right.  What occurred next was no worse that Jordan Spieth at the 12th hole of the Masters. I triple bogeyed the hole.  FML

I finished the front 9 with a 46.  Not horrible, but could have been terribly worse.

That happened on the back nine.

1 Triple bogey, 4 doubles, and the rest bogeys.  It was UGLEE!!

Here's what happened.  At the 10th tee, I sat down.  After walking 9 holes I was a bit tired.  
At that point my ass started to cramp up!!  Well, not my ass per-se, but my glutes.  You see, after my October surgery I've been taking it easy at the gym.  Then, after my back issues - I REALLY took it easy.  So, I am in the worst shape I've been in, in quite a while.

So now when I swung, my hips would not come around and open up.  This caused me to pull almost every fucking shot.  This was B-A-D.

I finished the back 9 with a 51.  A 97 overall.


But, the good news is, I didn't get hurt.  I was able to play 18 and not get carried off on a stretcher.

So, what did I take away from today's god-awful round.

a - I need to get myself to the gym and kick my ass (literally, kick my glutes).  And abs.

b - Start getting to the range again.  Your swing doesn't just hang around in the off season.  You need to work it.

c - My back can hold up to 18 holes!!!!

d - It was great to get out again with the regular foursome.  Rich brought some cigars to celebrate the first outing of the year.  And the were great! 

This week I'll share some of my exercise regimens that I follow to keep this old body in some type of golf-shape.
I hope to have some improvement for next Saturday.

Until then,

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment