Tuesday, May 19, 2015

May 16 - Round 6

Eisenhower Park (red), Nassau County

There were two words to live by today. 
Front nine - Monsoon
Back nine - HUMID!!!

Those damn weather guys!  I'm having enough problems fighting my new grip, but now I have to fight the elements too???  
At tee time, the Weather Channel App said no future rain.  But, I put that new Golf Umbrella in my bag anyway.
Good thing.

Teed off at 8:28.  My playing partner was Pete.  
Play was light, so they put us out as a twosome.  
(Obviously, some people watched the RIGHT channel for a weather report!!)

I'm still trying to get my wrists to turn over with this new weaker grip.  The first drive was right on the fairway.

THE 18th FAIRWAY!!


I was able to get back over the trees in good position with a 4 hybrid, but still wound up with a bogey.  
Second hole was a par 3.  Hit a nice 5 hybrid to the green.

Then the rains came.  Not light like last week.  This was the heavy stuff.  
We sheltered under a nearby tree until the foursome behind us came to the tee.  Then we putted out in the rain and went to the 3rd hole.  
We teed off, and then the rain got heavier.  So, once again we sought shelter under a big pine.

NOTE - IN CASE OF LIGHTENING STORMS - DO NOT SEEK SHELTER UNDER A TREE!!!

After about 15 minutes, it let up so we walked out (with umbrellas open) to continue.  My drive on this hole was nice.  New ball flight is very high, and a light draw.  Differs greatly from my medium height/hard draw.  Much less spin, and more distance.  (Too bad it's not consistent yet)

After parring the 3rd hole, we went to the 4th tee.  Hardest hole on the course, but has a temp green.  My drive again was nice.  The rain seemed to stop, so I folded the umbrella up - mistake.

My shot into the green needed a hard draw - actually a hook.  Took my 6 iron and hit a beautiful straight shot.  
In the trees, but a shot into the green.
At this point, the rains came again.  Finished with a double bogey - and soaked.

So, the recap to this point is:
4 holes; 3 completely soaked gloves;  2 soggy socks;  1 unhappy golfer.
Unhappy Golfer
Happy Ducks



The rain finally stopped around the 7th hole, and the sun came out after 9,  
That's when the humidity kicked in.    It was pretty disgusting for a few holes.  
My towels were soaked, so were of no help in drying my grips or hands.  A few times the clubs starting moving around in my swing.
I wound up not doing too bad.  Shot an 88 in the foul conditions.
Amazingly, I shot a 43 on the front (in the rain), and a 45 on the back (in the humidity and sun).
Go figure.  The reason for the fairly decent score was that I played the Par 3's well.  If you can score on the Par 3's, you'll protect your score.  Back nine I had 3 double bogeys - but parred short holes.

Need a few more trips to the range to work on the driver.  Very inconsistent.  But, as I stated above - there were rays of hope.  So, I'll keep at it.

I'm hoping for 3 rounds this weekend.  I have my regular foursome on Saturday, and probably Monday.  Sunday we have an afternoon Broadway show, so I'm hoping to sneak in an early round. (Shhhhh - don't tell the wife!)

Until next week,

Keep it in the short hairs


No comments:

Post a Comment