Monday, May 25, 2015

May 25th - Round 9

Eisenhower Park - White course

Playing partners - Vak, Richie, Neil

FINALLY SPRING HAS COME!!  It was about 65 degrees at tee off (8:36).  What a relief not wearing multiple layers of clothing.

We meet at the range, and at 8am we head over to the course.  Except Rich and Neil.  They went out for cigars.  And, made a stop for iced coffee.

They showed up at the starter after our tee time.  This was totally poor golf etiquette.  If you have a tee time, have the courtesy of showing up on time.
The 2nd group that got in front of us was two oriental couples.  Other golfers warned us about them - after every shot the ladies make, the husbands give them a lesson on what they did wrong.
VERY FREAKING SLOW!!!

So, we teed off at 8:52.  Once again, my drives were heading right.  Not horrible (yet), but pushing right.  It didn't hurt my score much, as my recovery shots made up for them.
For instance, on the 18th hole I pulled the drive (yes, pulled) left of the fairway bunker.
Left and Short!!

So, I'm left with around 320 to the green, and I' in the left rough, guarded by trees.  So, I hit a beautiful 7-wood, drawing it as much as I could out of the rough.  Ended up 120 yards in the right rough.  Wound up with a Par.
This is how much of the round went.

I shot a 44 on the front nine.  Scrambling from my poor drives - one worse than the other.  On the 9th hole, I tugged the drive left (I'm constantly making adjustments to the grip). As I was searching for my ball I spot a bright blue golf ball in the grass

Yes - NY Rangers. I'm guessing that Henrik Lundqvist lost another one!

So on the front nine I scrambled for a 44.  Not to bad.

We started the back nine into the wind. I hit the drive well, again to the left. That seemed to be the way I played the next 3 holes.  Then (like the day before), I started to drive it well.  I stuck with my new grip - despite the advice from my playing partners to give up on it.  
Adjustments take time.  Don't give up for the sake of a few good (better?) rounds.  It will eventually click, with enough work (and time).

So, I finished with an 89.  I'm quite ok with that, given that I am not driving the ball well at all.

Course conditions - fair to poor. Some greens should be taken out of play - they were horrible. Pin placements were in the corner areas that were not damaged - making putting very hard.  
As for my conditions - I am realizing that perhaps I shouldn't walk three 18 hole rounds on 3 successive days.  My 58 year old knees were KILLING ME!  
Seriously in pain.

I couldn't wait to get home and lay down.

So - I'll rest my knees until next Saturday.


Until then,

Keep it in the Short Hairs


No comments:

Post a Comment