Monday, May 25, 2015

May 24 - Round 8

Bethpage State Park - Blue course

Word of the day - Schizophrenia (or, Jeckyl and Hyde)

As we (me and the wife) had show tickets for a 3pm show, I opted to wake up early and squeeze in 18 holes.
I got to Bethpage State Park at around 6:20.  Got a 7:32 tee time on the Blue.

As I walked to my car in the still cold weather, I found myself parked next to a slender guy smoking an electric cigarette.  But, not one of the ones I normally see.  This one put a permanent cloud around him, that seemed to follow him as he walked.  It reminded me of the Peanut's character Pigpen, with white smoke instead of dust.



I KNEW I WOULD BE PARTNERED UP With HIS GROUP.

So, I show up at the first tee around 6:45 - and proceed to stand in the chill for 45 minutes.  Sure enough, I'm partnered up with three oriental young men - one of whom was Pigpen.
They politely asked me if I would move down to the 8:04 so their friend can play with them.

SERIOUSLY?  Wait a half hour?

I politely said no.

So, they switched with the 3some at 8:04.  A father and his two sons (in their early 30's).  We had a rip-roaring time, as every time of of the boys hit a shot, the other would rag on him mercilessly.
True brothers.

As for my round, I started off tighter than the lid on a new jar of pickles.  Standing around for 45 minutes took it's toll on my muscles.  The first hole was bad.  I was lucky to get away with a triple bogey.  Thank's to the one putt.

My drives on the front nine were something out of a Steven King novel.  It was a horror story.  Thank goodness my irons worked well.  Not so my putter.

I finished with a 50.  Worst hole?  I didnt even use the driver.  170 yard par 3.  A big green, and I pulled the tee shot to the left side of the green.  The pin was on the right.
4 putts later I was in for a 5.
That's right - A FREAK'N FOUR PUTT!!!

At the turn, I took a deep breath and started a new round.  I figured I had a chance of breaking 100.

So, resigned to my worst score in several years, I loosened up.  The Driver started to actually work, and I started to sink putts.
Started Par-Par-Par, and finished with a 42.

It was an amazing change from the front nine.  (Thus, the word of the day).  It was actually a comfortable 9 holes.

The course conditions were pretty good.  All the greens were now open, yet some were recently sodded.  Fairways and bunkers were well maintained.

Looking forward to Monday's round at Eisenhower White.

Until then

Keep it in the Short Hairs





No comments:

Post a Comment