Saturday, May 23, 2015

May 23 - Round 7

Eisenhower Park (red)

Word of the day - wood

Playing partners - Vak, Rich, Freddie

Waking up at 6am on May 23, you expect cool weather.  Maybe 65 degrees. Maybe 60.
Not 49!!

Seriously - I had put my warm weather gear away.   
So, I layered up and headed out.  

The new weaker grip is starting to work.  
Of course, I don't like to make things easy, so I tested out a new driver - the Cobra Fly-Z.  I had tried it at the range the day before, and liked it. So, why not really mess up my driving?  Right?

By tee time, it was a balmy 53 degrees.  My drive (old driver) was pushed to the right.  I tried to hit my sand wedge over the trees to the fairway - and it went FAR.  Way across the fairway.  
Now I tried to bump out to the fairway. For this I always use my 4 wood.  Lined up nice, swing, click, boom - hits a tree dead center and it bounced right back.  
Nice (remember the word of the day). 
I think I nailed 7-8 trees today.  It was ugly.  

As was the new driver (ugly). What I did was first tee off with MY driver, and then hit the test driver. 
The Cobra almost always pushed to the right. Sometimes a downright hook. 
However, on the 8th hole, I blasted it a good 25 yards past my drive.  But, I put it permanently away by the back 9.  
Frustrating. 

(This didn't help my game)

I am starting to figure out my new distances.  16th hole, a par 3 - had 146 to the middle. I hit my 8-iron, and it carried past center.  My 7 would have flown the green.
NICE!

The greens seemed to be healing. The 4th green (still closed) looked pretty good. I think another week or two and it will be open.
But, some of the greens on the back 9 were horrible. 
Especially 18.

As I've written before, the 18th hole is a long playing par 4 - an uphill 430 yards.
My second shot I laid up to 70 yards. A comfortable pitching distance.  
So I take my choked up pitching wedge, and hit a beautiful shot. Bounced 10 yards before the green.  I totally expected a 10 foot putt.
 Two bounces to the green, and the ball rolled past the pin off the back of the green.
As I walked across the green, I realized why - the green was as hard as a billiard table.  
Maybe not a billiard table. Maybe a hardwood floor.  
Awful!   
Perhaps when they get the 4th green under control, they can look at this one.

So, I wound up with an ugly 95. Yea. UGLY!

But, I didn't have enough grief. 
I went back to the pro shop and had them reset the Cobra to a Draw setting.  And then hit 50 more balls!
It actually helped. 

But, I think I'll wait until my "Driver swing" is grooved before I decide to plunk down a few hundred $$$ on a new club.

In the meantime, I plan to head to Bethpage at 6am to get out early tomorrow - and I have a tee time already for Monday.
Lots of golf.
Hopefully, less wood (trees)

In the meantime

Keep it in the Short Hairs


Heres a pic of an Osprey V-22 crushing up the fairway



No comments:

Post a Comment