Sunday, May 10, 2015

May 9 - Round 5

Eisenhower Park (red), Nassau County

Word of the day was RAIN.

We had a 9:32 tee time. The 7am weather report showed fog, that should burn off by noon. 
They neglected to say noon on SUNDAY!

My playing partners today were Rich and Dave (Rich's son-in-law).  

At tee off they pushed up a single to join us - Ari. Good golfer.  Lotta talk

It was misting at tee time.  I was wearing shorts and a short sleeve wind shirt over my golf shirt.
No umbrella, as it was stolen a week earlier (more commentary on that later).

My first drive had a hard draw and wound up in the left rough, a few yards behind a tree.  My second shot was a five rescue that I needed to draw around the tree.  Worked great, as I was now 100 yards to the middle of the green. Flag was  in front. 
This hole always plays long, so I played it at 100 yards, hoping to make the front of the green.
Well, my gap wedge soared 120 yards - off the back of the green.  WTF?
I'm thinking that the ball came and skidded, as it was wet.  
First hole was a bogey.  

After a few holes I realized that I had a problem.  Something all of you wish you had.
I was hitting my irons 1-2 extra club lengths over last season.
I hit a 9 iron 147 (normally 125-130).  

The reason?  I started a new workout regimen last fall that was TOTALLY golf oriented. 
Balance, flexibility, power.  

Well, it's paying off.  

For those of you paying for new clubs, gadgets, and crap, to get a few extra yards - hit the gym.  Its work, but it pays off.

The round was pretty uneventful, except for the misery of the on and off rain. 
What a bitch.  
The one constant was that I was usually putting downhill, as my irons carried over the pin.

I got pretty tired around the 12th hole. Waking up wet fairways, soaked, wet socks.  Although my shoes are waterproof, the socks aren't. 

12, 13 and 14 were double bogeys.  On 14 I pulled out a power bar and chomped it down.  
I recommend tossing a few of your favorites in the bottom of your bag - you never know when you'll need one when your tank runs dry.
So I parred the par-3 15, and bogeyed the last 2.  
Finished with an 88. Very respectable for a round with 3 doubles.  
42 on the front, and 46 on the back (damn those double bogeys).

I had gone to the range on Friday to work out my wedges.  Those 40, 50, 60 and 70 yard shots are all feel.
So my short game was working.
As was my putter. 

I also stopped into the pro shop to talk Drivers. I have a TaylorMade R7 that I hit pretty damn good.  
I tried 4-5 drivers last year but didn't hit them any better than the R7 - so I saved $400.
This year I'll try to spend some more hard earned $$ on a driver - again.
My pro, Bob, recommended the Mizuno JPX-850 and the Cobra Fly-Z.  Maybe next week.

So, after the round - I went to the candy store. (aka The PGA Superstore). 
Bought a new golf umbrella.
Last week, the little woman and I went shopping at BBB.  It was pouring, so I took my golf umbrella.  While browsing around, we left our cart around a bend for 5 minutes. 
When we checked out, I realized that the big-ass umbrella was gone.  Someone had decided it was better in their hands, than ours.   This is what society has come to.  
Stolen umbrellas....

So, new NIKE umbrella. (Why Nike you ask? - I liked the colors)
I also bought some golfers tape as hitting balls 2 days in a row (with wet hands on day 2) gave me a blister.

So, this week I plan to:
Take a lesson with Bob to work out some kinks, and get new club distances
Get Linda to the range as we will play on Sunday - my birthday

Until then -
Keep it in the short hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment