Saturday, August 15, 2015

August 15 - Round 25

Course - Eisenhower Red

Playing Partner - Vak

It was going to be a hot one today.  Luckily, I was able to get us a slightly earlier tee time, at 8:12am.  A good thing.
We were grouped up with two 'singles'.  Pete, and Ken.  Both nice enough guys, which made for a pleasant round.

Today I had a new pair of golf shoes.  I had received an email from Golf Galaxy for FootJoy Ultra Lights.  These are spikeless, and VERY LIGHT!
The email was a FLASH sale, and the shoes were $59!
The shoes were very comfortable.  They did get a bit damp (they are not waterproof, as they are mesh) on the first hole (rough was wet) - but were very light and comfortable.
I'm quite happy with them.

My last blog entry referred to the handicapping system used at outings.  I'll take this opportunity to quickly review golf handicaps, and what they are good for.

A golfer's handicap is a calculated number that means how far off a course's par he should be able to play to - given that golfer plays one of his/her best rounds.  So, if my handicap is 10, and the course par is 72 - I feasibly should be able to score an 82 on a good day.
It's basically a way so that golfers of different levels can compete against each other.  For instance, if I had a handicap of 12 on a course, and another golfer has a handicap of 15 - I would give that golfer 3 strokes to make things "even".

I won't get into the actual calculation of how it's done, but it is an algorithm that uses your best 10 scores from your last 20 rounds.

The USGA uses GHIN (Golf Handicap Information Network) to help golfers maintain their handicaps.  However, unless you belong to a club, it will run you $60 a year to "join" an virtual club to maintain it.

Or, like me - buy an APP on your iphone that does the same thing. (I used Golf Handicap Tracker)

The reason I keep my handicap is to gauge how well I am playing.  I usually play better towards the end of the year, so I end up with a low handicap.  Then it creeps up during the year, and then goes down again.
This year I started at a 13, and am now above 14.  This is because all of my 2014 scores have "fallen off" of my list of my last 20 scores, so are no longer used by the calculation.

The last few scores, even though were pretty good, put my handicap over 14 for the first time this year.  It doesn't make me crazy, as it does to some others.  It's just a way of telling me how I'm doing.

So, for today's round.

My drive on the first hole ended up in the rough on the right side.  Maybe a yard off the fairway.
But (BIG BUT) - the rough was long, gnarly, and wet.  I opted to just hit a 7 iron and lay up to 100 yards.
The grass had other ideas.
The clubhead got held up in the grass and my ball went about 100 yards, and I again sat in the rough - 140 yards out.
Let's just say that it was a bit ugly, and I opened with a bogey.
Vak played the hole great, and birdied!!

The rough on the rest of the course was not nearly as bad, except for the 18th hole (I'll get to that later).

Here of my holes of note:
4th hole - long par 4, dogleg left.  My drive was long and (once again) drew into the tree at the end of the fairway on the left.  I had no shot out, so I did the "backhanded wedge".
For those unfamiliar with this, it's a way if playing a ball by:
Holding a wedge backwards in your right hand (for righties) so the head of the club faces your foot.
You swing the club like a pendulum, hitting the ball "Backwards".  I was able to get the ball out to an open area, where I could then lay up to 100 yards.
Double bogey.

11th hole - par 4 - playing a short 350 yards.  I had a great drive, leaving me 120 yards to the pin. With a slight wind behind, I hit a pitching wedge to 3 feet and nailed the putt for a birdie!!!

The par 3 13th - 200 yards.  I felt very uncomfortable at the tee, but opted not to walk away and "reset".  Topped the ball into the water.
Double Bogey.

18th hole.  This was ugly.
My drive was solid, leaving me 215 yards out. But, as I was on an uphill slope, I opted to "play it smart" and lay up to 60 yards, and then pitch it in.
But, my 7 iron pulled left and wound up in the rough.  Still at 60 yards.
Just as I got to my ball, the sprinklers went off. I probably had a minute until the water would hit me.  But, I opted to wait, and let the cold water rain over me and cool me off.
It felt great, but in hindsight, it was a stupid move.
Not only was I wet, but so was my ball, and the deep grass I was in.
My pitch shot went 40 yards.
My next lob wedge shot landed just short of the green.
By this time, I'm talking to myself (pretty much cursing myself).
So, laying 4, I chip on and hit the 4 foot putt for my third double bogey of the round.

I ended the day with an 86.  31 total putts, and no three putts.
I shot a 41 on the front, and a 45 on the back.

The holes I wish I had to play over were the 13th and 18th.  What would I have done differently?

  • On the 13th, I would have stepped away from the ball, and restarted my setup.  


  • On the 18th, I would NOT have waited for the sprinkler to hit me and the ball.  I would have taken that pitch right then and there.


Vak had a super front 9 - shooting 39.  Awesome.
However, the back 9 got away from him, and he shot a 49.
Now, 88 is not a bad score - but like my score when I shot the 37 on the front - very discouraging.

I have no outing or mid-week plans for playing this week. Which, doesn't mean I won't take half a day to play somewhere.   Barring that, there's always next Saturday.

Until then,

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment