Wednesday, August 26, 2015

August 24 - Round 27

Course - Hempstead Country Club

Playing partner - Seth

When I posted my last blog entry for Saturday's round, some smart ass suggested I take up fishing.  

Well, I would - except I'd be afraid that my attempts to "cast" into the water might hook a bear or squirrel!  

On Monday I played in an outing held by a client.  The format was a "scramble".  I've discussed the formats in a previous entry.  This is where every person in the foursome tees off.  Then the four players hit their next shot from the location of the best drive.  This is done until the ball is in the cup.  
If you have four good players, you can wind up with a nice score - 6 or 7 under par.  Really good foursomes come close to 12 under par.

We shot 2 over par.  

I've actually never heard of this course - and it's 10 minutes from my house!  It's a hidden country club in Hempstead.  A pretty course, and not too difficult.  The fairways were fairly open, and not that long.  
If I was playing well, we could have shot a nice low number.

Thus, we shot 2 over par.

The highlights?
On the longest drive hole, I held the top spot for a bit.
The hole was all uphill for about 240 yards, and then crested down.  With the wind in our face, I hit a low driving shot that landed around 230 yards.  About 10 yards from the top.
I KNEW that I had little shot at holding  this.  When we passed back, I saw that there were 4 names on the card.  And, the card was 30 yards past the spot I had hit to.

Seth had some really nice shots.  He won 2 of the three "closest to the pin" contests.  He hit the shit out of his 5-wood, and had some nice drives.  We'll be playing a few more outings this season, and I hope we can do better.

I had a few decent shots.  Mostly drives.  
But, I was pulling my irons left all day.  (that fishing suggested sounded good around the 9th hole!)

However - playing in a scramble is not the best for keeping my concentration on the game.  It's not like you can get into a rhythm.  You drive out and inspect the shots, and make some type of logical determination on which ball to play.  

So, I can't even critique my round. Only that I was again inconsistent.  Some drives were great. Others were quite bad.  
My woods were great.  Mid irons were OK,
SHORT IRONS SUCKED!!!


On the bright side, they expect nice weather on Thursday - when I expect to get to the range!!!

So, until Saturday 

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment