Sunday, August 2, 2015

August 2 - Round 22

Course - Eisenhower Blue

Playing partner - Linda

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of playing a round of golf with your wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc - read on. As this is what today's round was for me. (I'll try my best not to get mushy)

The "feel" of a spousal round is quite different than a "buddy" round.  Definitely, there is no competitive feel.  No banter, cursing someones shot, etc.
We were basically on a "golf" date.  Chit chatting about every day stuff, and chatting with the other couple.  A very non-pressured round.
My play is very different, too.  I don't take as long to line up my putts.  I don't take 3 to 4 practice swings on my pitches/chips to gauge the distance.  And, I don't light up a cigar.

This is NOT saying that it's not a pleasurable round.  It is.  It is just different.  It's a relaxing 2 1/2 hours spent with my wife, playing the sport that I love (and that she likes).
I highly recommend this type of round.

Now, on to our round.  First a little background.
About 2 years ago, Linda and I started to play golf on Sunday afternoons - for a 9 hole round.  (A quickie, so to speak)

Linda is a novice golfer.  Until about 3 years ago, she would play 2-3 times a year.  A few times on vacation in Florida, and a few times up north in New York.
But, we expanded on that so that she could learn to play the game - better.

Until last year, Linda would always preface our round by "warning" our playing partners that she was a beginner.  The problem with this, is that she's one of those people who are naturally coordinated - and never really played like a true beginner.  As such, I told her she can NOT tell others she's a beginner.

But, back to today's round.  This was Linda's first outing of the year, so we spent some time at the range.  As opposed to my normal warmup, (making sure I followed my regular routine) today was mostly about my wife, correcting a few things here and there.

After a bit, we went over to the course.  Today, we walked the course.  Linda used my 3-wheeled push cart, while I rented the course's old 2-wheeled "dragger".
After today, I decided that I'll head to the PGA superstore and buy another push cart.  Lugging that 2 wheeled thing around was horrible.

At the first tee, we are matched up with another couple - Gary and Jodi.  As Linda warned them that this was her first round of the season, Jodi assured Linda that she was probably just as bad.

We teed off at 3:45 pm.  By this time, the top heat of the day had passed.
My drive sails way right.  Linda, off the ladies tee, drives the ball 125 yards up the fairway.  Here comes the problems with my not hitting the ball on the fairway.

I am Linda's caddie.  Linda hasn't yet figured out what club to use, or even how to correct her aim.  So, as her coach, I make little corrections in her swing, stance, etc. - while standing next to her.
(This woman must love me, because anyone else would smack me upside the head with a 9-iron!!!)

Anyway, I hit my 2nd shot up the 9th fairway, as I can't easily make my way back to the 1st fairway.  I kept walking back to coach my little woman from across the fairway.
I wound up parring the hole, while Linda scored a 7.

Luckily, my shots straightened out, so we proceeded to walk together, while chatting golf, and stuff.
The 4th hole is a par 3 - with the men's tees at 175 yards, while the ladies "red' tees are at 135 yards.  I pushed my 5 hybrid into the right greenside bunker, while Linda's drive, straight as an arrow, stopped just short of the green.
Her putt from off the green stopped less than a foot from the hole.
PAR!!
The rest of us bogey'd the hole.

Alas - this novice showed us up.

The round took 2 hours and 20 minutes.  No a bad late day round with my honey.

I wound up shooting a 42.  Pars and bogeys across the whole round.  My most memorable shot was on the 5th hole - 375 yard par 4.  My drive was great, leaving me 160 to the pin.  However, I hit my 6-iron fat and landed just short of the bunker guarding the front of the green.  The pin was sitting about 10 yards past the bunker - so I needed to hit a flop shot just over the bunker, and let it trickle to the hole.
Low and behold - that's exactly what happened and I was left with a 6 incher for par.

So, once again - a weekend with 3 rounds of golf (well, two and a half).

What more can a guy ask for.
One round on one of the region's premier courses
One round shooting a 37 front nine
One round with my little lady.

I'd call that a perfect golf weekend.

And - what do I take away from this round?
Linda needs work on her putting and chipping.  I told her we would meet at the putting green after work one day for a lesson.
And, sorry to all my other playing partners - she's my favorite golf partner!

So, until next weekend.

Keep it in the Short Hairs


No comments:

Post a Comment