Wednesday, July 15, 2015

July 11 - Round 15

Eisenhower Park - Red

Playing partners- Rich, Pete, Evan 

It took me 5 days to get around to writing this, so I'm relying on these slowly-dieing brain cells!

We played with Evan, Rich's son in law.  Evan is a pleasure to play with.  Not many golfers get up to the ball, and just swing. Evan takes no practice swings, and doesn't get upset when he hits a bad shot.   

We teed off later than normal (9:40 tee time), as I completely forgot to reserve the time the prior week.  As Rich and Evan were riding together, my partner was Pete.   As it was expected to be hot and humid, we drove (rather not than walked).  Despite the late tee time, we were able to play in 5 hours - fairly normal. 

The pre-round warmup was stressful, as Nassau County used their brilliance to book three events in the park that day.  So, the Park was mobbed, and the parking in the lot was a bitch.  I drove to the driving range to hit a few balls - and left my car there. I carried my clubs across the road and met Pete at the first hole!

First hole - I hate starting off with a BAD score. HATE HATE HATE.
So the double bogey didn't sit well with me, to say the least.

The second hole, playing the par 3, was much better.  The hole is 160 yards, and the flag was blue - meaning at the back of the green.  My 5 hybrid was perfect and landed at the back of the green.

The problem was, the blue pin was in the middle of the green.   Two putts and I had a par.  

The hole of note was the 4th hole - which had been playing with a temporary green - until today.  The green was in good condition, yet I double bogeyed the hole.  

The front nine was pretty mundane.  I had issues off the tee, but my irons and short game kept saving my ass. Pars and Double Bogyes.  I headed into 10 shooting a 45 on the front.  A bit disappointing, but not horrible.

The back 9 was pretty much like the front.  Frustrating drives, and recovery shots. My best hole was the 13th hole - 200 yard par 3.  Always a bitch.
My 4-wood was sweet, landing me in the center of the green - about 15 feet from the pin.  I missed the birdie, and walked away with a par.  Always satisfying on this hole. 

The 18th hole was typical of the day.
My drive was way right.  My 4 hybrid left me 60 yards out.  I miss hit my wedge and sat 10 yards from the green. 
After almost holing out my chip, I walked away with a bogey 5 - ending with a 44 back 9 - 
Scoring 89 for the round.  
Not bad for a so-so round. 

So, last week my practice session at the range consisted of ONLY my wedges - and (for the most part) it showed. My short game was good.
My driver should have been left at home!

This week, I'll be sure to take the driver to the range and work on that timing!  

We have a 8:28 tee time on Saturday. 

Hopefully, I'll not snap my driver over my knee!

So, stay tuned.

Until next week,

Keep it in the Short Hairs




No comments:

Post a Comment