Wednesday, July 22, 2015

July 18 - Round 16

Eisenhower Park - White

Playing partners - Rich, Pete, Freddie

OK - I've been bad and didn't pen this until Wednesday (We played Saturday).  But, in my defense, there was a lot going on.

Besides going to the Yankees on Sunday, I was intensely keeping track of "The Open Championship" (The British Open to you novices).

Before I continue on about my round, first I'll give my commentary on the weekend (and Monday) happenings in The Open golf.

Just like many Super Bowls, some Major tournaments are a disappointment.  Many players do not rise to the occasion, and fold quickly.  And, many times it turns into a 1 horse race (or, perhaps 2).
Bottom line - the hype doesn't usually match the play.

This Open had everything you wanted in a Major.
The emotion on Saturday when Tom Watson made his farewell in his last appearance.  An overall fan favorite, and a 5 time Open winner.  To see him end his round with his son caddying, would bring a tear to anyone's eye.
But, the golf was amazing.  Even given the fact that weather wreaked havoc with the schedule.  I was actually glad that Sunday's final round was pushed to Monday.  That meant I was able to follow the round (if not watch it), as Sunday I was in Yankee Stadium.

I'll just say this - there was excitement, disappointment, tears, and (in the end) and champion that deserved it.  I was disappointed that Mr. Spieth didn't get into the playoff.  I was genuinely sad as I watched the interview with Mr. Day, who showed his emotions after losing the tournament.  He's now got a new fan.
And. my congrats to Zach on his winning.


As for my round - it was no less exciting than the Open.  Not because of the caliber of golf, but  because of the weather.
The report called for scattered Thundershowers.

Scattered my ass!!!

By the time we hit our 2nd ball on the first hole, there was a light drizzle.
At the 2nd hole, it was a constant light rain.
By the 4th hole it was a light downpour, with high winds and thunder.
The 5th turned worse - more thunder, and now lightening.  Not bolts, but the sky was lit.

For those reading this that do not understand the danger of lightening to golfers, let me expand a bit.
Lightening usually hits the highest target in the area it is in.  If there's a tree in a meadow, it will hit that tree.
If there is a golfer standing in an open fairway, it will hit him.

In the days of Metal Spikes on golf shoes, many times you would read about a golfer who was electrocuted (or shocked) when lightening hit the ground nearby, and shot up through the golfer's shoes.  (this is no longer a problem now with "soft spikes")

Still, it's not a good idea to huddle under a tree to escape the rain.

We did this anyway.


But, only for a bit.  I had pulled out my iPhone and brought up the weather map (I JUST LOVE TECHNOLOGY).  I estimated 20 minutes until it cleared - so we pushed on in the rain, thunder, and lightening.
My mind quickly roamed back to the "Caddyshack" scene when the priest gets hit by lightening


The group in front of us was huddled at the halfway house at the 8th tee (they were obviously much brighter than us)- we passed them.

The front 9 ended with the weather letting up, and my shooting an acceptable 47 (given the weather conditions).
But, the back nine was much better - both in weather and golf.
The rain ended by the 11th hole, and that's when my game came back (mostly).

I parred 11-14.  13 was a bit ridiculous, as my drive was way right, and I laid up to 60 yards, figuring I'd pitch and putt for a par.  But, I chunked the pitch, and still sat 10 yards off the putting surface.
Choosing a 9 iron to chip, I landed it right where I wanted, and the ball rolled into the cup.

After I parred the 14th (par 3), several playing partners (not to be named) reminded me that I was on a roll.
Note - there is a reason that baseball players NEVER tell a pitcher that he's throwing a no-hitter.  It FUCKS UP YOUR GAME!!

15 - Triple bogey!!  Ugh!  (Thanks guys!)
I staggered the rest of the way, finishing with a 44 on the back, and an overall 91 - not too bad for a round where 9 holes were in the pouring rain.

My playing partners had a nice outing.  Fun, if not score-wise. Rich actually had a club fly out of his hands at the 8th hole.  (I think the club went further than the ball).
And Freddie, who has not been a good golfer, was hitting nice, solid shots.
We all had a great time, despite the weather.

So - what do I take a way from this round?

1 - I need more gloves.  I carried 3, and two became SOAKED after 4 holes.  (notice the 4 gloves hanging from the cart.

2 - Don't play with lightening.  I read that that a girl in Suffolk was hit by lightening that day!

I'm hoping to play mid week, this week.  Maybe an early 9-holes with a buddy.  But, it's that time of year when I start playing twice/three times a week.

So, until next week -
Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment