Thursday, July 2, 2015

July 2 - Round 12

Eisenhower Red

Playing partners - Dan, Rich, Pete

I returned to the scene of last weeks crime - Eisenhower Red.  If your call, I shot 100 and was miserable.  

I left my office at noon to play a 12:44 tee time.  Working across the street from Eisenhower has its perks.  
I had checked in for the round before work, so I met the guys at the range.  

I had about 25 balls, and started to loosen up.  I hit a few wedges and then started to shank my shots. So bad that Dan, who finished his warmup, said he couldn't watch me anymore - and left.  

Welł, the shanks pretty much stayed during the warmup - except for the driver. 

So, a bit nervous, I headed to the first tee.

We teed off just before 1pm.  It was a humid 85 degrees.  

My tee shot was a big looping hook, into the trees.  I decided to take a breakfast ball (despite the fact that it was lunchtime) and proceeded to hit a bigger and loopier hook even further.  
Oh Lordie - this was going to be a long round. 

Well, I chipped out and merely bogied the hole.  Normally I'd be upset, but after last week, I was fine with a 6. 

The second hole was, again, the par 4.  I hit a nice 4 hybrid off the tee, but pushed a choked down wedge/70 yarder and wound up with a 5.

So, I felt a bit better that I was playing bogey golf.  
Hole 3 - the par five dogleg right.  I hit a whopping drive right to the dogleg.  My hybrid faded to the tree line.  I looked for the ball quite a bit and finally found it under some trees about 60 yards out.  This time my choked down sand wedge was perfect, leaving me 4 feet above the hole. 
Of course I missed the birdie putt, and happily settled for a par.

The 4th hole still had a temp green.  This still screws with my head, and, took a double bogie.   

I'll save you the blow by blow of the round.  

But I do need to give some accolades to Dan.  During the front 9, Dan was awesome.   Not a long hitter, Dan was crushing his drives - and straight.  He shot a 42 front, and said "wait till the back 9".  It seemed a self fulfilling prophesy, as he shot a 50.  Still, a nice round.

I finished with a 94.  And that with another horrible 18th hole.  This time, my nemesis was the green side bunker.  It was basically a patch of solidified mud.  After the first shot, I should have just chipped out.
But, I turned into Roy McAvoy from Tin Cup.  Determined to get out with a "sand shot", I was out in 4.
Just shoot me.

So what did I learn?   
Not much.  I played bad for what I consider my "standard" game.  Still had problems with the driver, and pushed a few irons.  
The analysis of my game, for those that don't play with me is this:
I consider myself a bogey golfer.  If I bogey a hole, I'm ok with that.  
Here and there, I par a hole (maybe even a birdie), and so my scores get down into the 80's.  
I usually NEVER double bogey, and NEVER TRIPLE or worse.  So, these past 2 weeks have been a trip back to reality.  I still attribute it to not swinging a club for 4 weeks. 
Next extended vacation, I'm hitting some balls where ever I go!

My next round is Saturday - weather permitting.

Until then,

Keep it it the Short Hairs



No comments:

Post a Comment