Saturday, July 4, 2015

July 4 - Round 13

Eisenhower Park - Blue Course

Playing partners - Rich and Lloyd

Let me start off by restating the purpose of this blog.  Good score or bad - this is an attempt to pick apart the details of my game in order to improve.  So, if I shoot well, or poor, the basic precept is the same.  What can I do to improve?  
And, hopefully along the way, you can see the same flaws in your game - and aside from commiserating with me (and possibly giggling a bit too), you can improve your game.

With that, I'll state right now that today's game was a good round.   In more ways than score.

I shot an 83 - damn good by my standards.
The weather was great golfing weather.  There was an overcast, and the temps were in the low 70's.  A light breeze that kept you cool but didn't interfere with the ball flight. 
And, the course was relatively empty.
We did not see another golfer until the 9th hole - and didn't have to wait at all, until the 10th hole.
My guess is that all the "golf widows" put their foot down regarding playing on BBQ days.

The key today was TEMPO.  At the range, all I worked on was tempo.  For those that don't read GOLF magazine, or any of the thousand other journals regarding golf - the tempo of a golf swing is supposed to be like 3 clicks on a metronome. 
Click-Click - is the backswing
Click - swing

1, 2 - 3

That was my only swing thought today.

The few times I rushed, got lazy, or just forgot - I screwed up the shot.

The front 9 I shot a 40.  Damn good.  
Tempo was mostly good.  

My problem shots (again, with a score of 40 I'm nitpicking) can be counted easily.  
An approach on the 2nd hole was pushed way right.  No tempo, stiff wrists.  
Double bogey.
The next hole, a par 3 - same club, pushed right (bogey).

However, the next hole - a par 4, I had the same club (5 hybrid) to hit into an elevated green.  
Damned if I didn't birdie it.  I guess I had enough practice with that club!

Of course, the next hole is a par 5 dogleg left.  Figured I'd play it safe and hit a wood to the dogleg. 
Pushed my 4-wood way right.
At this point, the decision to recover by using that 4-wood was not a great idea.
The end result was another double bogey.
But, I finished with three pars for a nice score of 40.

At the 10th, I prepared my setup for my tee shot.

Everyone should have a singular setup routine for their shots.  It focuses your mind, and gets your body ready for the shot.
My driver routine is to face the fairway with the ball in front of me, envision the shot, and take a slow/deliberate practice swing.  Then move to the ball and make my shot.

My practice swing at 10 had a high follow through - meaning the ball would slice.  But, I was antsy to hit, as this was the first hole we waited on - so I didn't take a second practice swing to fix it.
End result - slice.
Double bogey, due to just being too lazy to take a good practice swing.

The next hole is a long bending par 5.  My drive was awesome - left me 230 from the green.  
There is a fairway bunker at around 100 yards out (130 from me).
Normally, I lay up to the bunker and hit a wedge in.
Today, my head thought was "use this drive to birdie the hole". 
DOPE!

I hit my 4 hybrid perfect, figuring it would carry that trap.
Wrong.  It caught the lip.   
Result- Double bogey.

The round after that was uneventful. Pars and bogeys- my regular game.
As we putted on 18, we felt the beginnings of a drizzle. Perfect timing.

So, I ended with a nice score and some thoughts - comparing today's play with the last two rounds.

A - TEMPO.  Keep my tempo and I'll score well.
B - Dont think you can make an exceptional shot when the risk outweighs the reward
C - Follow your routine - it is there for a reason so don't rush through it.
D - work on my woods. 

The great thing about holiday weekends is being able to play a lot of golf.  Two rounds so close together let me work though my shit.
I'm playing again tomorrow, and looking forward to a good round.

Until then - 

Keep it on the Short Hairs






No comments:

Post a Comment