Friday, July 31, 2015

July 31 - Round 20

Course - Links at Ferry Point

Playing partners - Dan, David (Dan's son), Jay

Let's discuss the course before the standard chronicle of the round.

The Links at Ferry Point (note, there was not one ferry to be seen) is the latest Trump course, sitting on the Bronx side of the Whitestone Bridge.  Although it is considered an "inner city" course, there is no mass transit to get there.  So, you'll need to pony up either for an Uber ride, or drive yourself and pay a toll - this is a small cost compared to the hefty greens fees.

The course (from the White tees) is not that long.  A bit over 6,000 yards.  A really nice Links layout, with bunkers in all the right (WRONG) places.  Fairways were wide in areas, and uncomfortably narrow in others.  The greens were fast, but not so as to be unfair.
And, there's not one tree on the course.  So, on this hot day, there was no relief from the hot sun.
The course is maintained well, and was in excellent condition.  The fescue was not that long, so finding wayward balls was pretty easy.
The views were mostly nice.  The views under the Whitestone Bridge were pretty beautiful.  And, the views of the course were quite pretty.
But, I'm used to more rural courses where you don't see apartment buildings 20 feet from where you are teeing it up.

The conditions were HOT, but there was a constant breeze that kept us from overheating.

My Pros for the course:

  • Views
  • Location (we had a 30 minute drive from Merrick)
  • Course conditions
  • Practice area
My Cons for the course:

  • Views (apartment buildings)
  • Location (tolls to get there and back)
  • Greens fees

Dan and I arrived about 45 minutes prior to our tee time of 8:40 am.  We were met with smiles by the staff who unloaded our bags and pointed to the temporary clubhouse.  The permanent clubhouse is a few years away from development.  

There was a power outage at the club, but leave it to Trump to have generators to power the computers and credit card machines (not the kitchen or a/c, though). 
The greens fees were a whopping $250.  
As a non- resident of NYC, I paid $215 greens fee for a weekend rate (Friday is a weekend day?) and $35 for a cart (that's $35 per person). 
NYC residents get to save $46!!!

The practice facility is amazing.  A nice grass range (NO MATS!), and a short game area that includes separate chipping and putting greens.  
Dan enjoyed the facility so much, he neglected to pick up his Alien sand wedge - so some lucky golfer got a door prize.  

After a brief warmup, we drove up to the first tee.  As it was going to be a hot day, I had brought a small cooler with ice and water - to which we added a few bottles of free water provided by the course (you have to get something for that whopping fee).

My tee shot pulled off the fairway into the rolling fescue covered moguls on the left side of the fairway.  Luckily, it landed in a flat area and I was able to hit an 8 iron to 70 yards out.  I pitched on to 6 feet and nailed the par putt.
Great scramble for my first par. This hole was rated the 2nd handicap hole, but didn't seem all that difficult.
My biggest issue on the front 9 was the par 3 8th hole.  I pulled my tee shot into the left greenside bunker. The ball was a about a foot from the far side of the trap, so I had a very uncomfortable lie.  One foot in, one foot out, and bent over - WAY OVER!  My goal was to get out in one and NOT fall, or pull a muscle.  Although I did get out (and didn't get hurt), I was not on the green, and wound up with a double bogey.
I finished the front nine with a 43.  More than acceptable.
My playing partners, didn't fare as well.  The "boys" both shot a 47, and Dan a 51.

During our front nine, we never waited for the group in front of us, and the single person behind us played multiple balls to keep himself occupied.  The 10 minute separation of groups was great!  I'm used to 7 or 8 minutes. 

As we teed of on 10, the temperatures rose.  Jay was the quick thinker, as he reloaded our cooler with the "Free Trump Water".  This obviously went well with the golf gods, as he birdied the 11th hole (part 3) with a nice putt from in front of the green. (He also birdied the 15th hole, the #1 handicap hole).
My back 9 was not as good as the front 9.  A few double bogeys and a lost ball on the #1 handicap hole when my drive was lost to the right and neither me nor David could locate it.

My shot of the day came on the par 3 17th hole.  Playing just over 150 yards uphill, I pulled my 6 iron left and wound up with a nice little pot bunker between me and the green, with my ball sitting in a collection area below the bunker.  I played a soft flop shot just over the bunker, and let the ball trickle down to the hole - within 4 feet.  Sinking that putt was GREAT!!

The 18th hole looked like it would be sweet.

However, the wind was flowing right to left, which pushed my drive into a nicely placed fairway bunker.  I hit out with a short 7 iron to about 180 out.
Jay and David had great drives and were both somewhere around 200 yards out.  
Jay went for the green in 2, and David latest up (YOU NEED BALLS TO PLAYBGOLF, David).
Two different approaches to their pars.
Nice way for them to end the round.

I hit a nice 7 wood (over clubbing by 1) and still came up short  A good chip left me 4 feet from the pin, and (SHITTTT) I missed the putt.  Ending with a 46 back nine, and an 89 overall.

Jay had a really nice back nine of 43, and ended with a 90.

As for David and Dan?  They were playing a match that came down the the last hole.  Dan cracked under pressure with a double bogey, and lost the match to his son.
Congrats to David!!!

As for the overall impressions of my round.  The only club that I had any issues with was my driver.  Luckily for this course, you often tee off with a wood or long iron, as the holes can be short, or you might want to take bunkers out of play.

So, If I can work out my issues with the big boy, I can finish the last half of my golf season with a flourish.

Let's see what I can do!

Until tomorrow,

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment