Friday, July 24, 2015

July 24th - Round 17

Merrick Road Park Golf Course (9 holes)

Playing partner - Lloyd

I don't know of any of you are members of the USGA, but it's a great organization that promotes golf. I had just received an update from their feed that July 29th is "Play 9" day.

In light of that, I decided that 9 holes was in order.  I asked Lloyd to meet me at Merrick Road Park Golf course at 6:30am.

For those of you unfamiliar with this course, you're missing a little gem on the south shore of Long Island.  The course is right up against the bay, so it has beautiful views.


It is nestled just west of the southernmost homes in Merrick, and just under the Norman J. Levy Preserve, formerly known as Merrick Mountain, and formerly known as the Merrick Dump!

The course has had it's ups, and downs.  But, it's a nice little venue for a "quick" 9.  Note, that a round can be EXCEEDINGLY slow, as many seniors (and I mean octogenarians) play.  They have a great deal for residents of the Town of Hempstead for SENIORS - $7.75 for a round.
As I am NOT a senior, I payed a whopping $15.50!!!  Still a great deal.

Lloyd and I met at the course at 6:30 (there are no reservations).  We teed of at 7am. (the 7th group)
No warmups, which, if you've been reading my blog, means my tempo is off and I'm tight.

So, my drive was a bit right, my 2nd shot (a 4 hybrid) also a bit right, and my wedge ran all the way to the back of the green.  So, I started with a bogey.

The Par 3 2nd hole played 135 yards from the whites.  I pulled my 9 iron left, and the lob wedge ran over the green into the rough.  On in 3 about 4 feet above the hole.
Turns out, the 2nd green was much faster than the first, and my ball shot by the hole and I was now 6 feet away.
Took a triple.

The greens have always been the poor point of the golf course. They were never maintained well - until now. I hear that a new greens-keeper has been hired, and it showed.  I'll assume the disparity in the speed of the greens was due to the early time, and some were not mowed yet.

The 3rd hole is by far the prettiest.  Skirting along the south shore and Merrick Bay, with the green sitting just under the preserve.  It really is a beautiful sight.


Today, the 4th hole was my favorite.  A nice drive left me 190 out.  With the wind at my back I hit a great 4 hybrid to 3 fee above the pin, and sunk the put for a birdie.


I do need to thank Lloyd for his help, as his chip left him outside my ball.  I had judged the putt to slide an inch to the right, and would have putted at the left outside edge.
Lloyd's putt barely broke at all, so I kept my ball aimed INSIDE the cup, and made the birdie!!!
Many thanks, Lloyd.

The other low point of the course has been the bunkers.  They have historically been hard packed dirt.  But, the grounds crew has them maintained well, and with sand.
This helped me with my two "Sandy" pars in the round.

We finished our nine holes in 2 hours flat.  A pretty incredible feat for a public course on Long Island.  I ended with a 42, ending with a Sandy/Par on the 9th.
Lloyd, who last shot a 45 (last Thursday) on this course was not as lucky, adding 10 strokes to that score for this week's outing.

So, I got to play 9 holes with a buddy, and got to work by 10:30am.  How great is that.

And, tomorrow I get to play again!!!

GOTTA LOVE THIS GAME!!!

So, until tomorrow

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment