Sunday, July 26, 2015

July 25 - Round 18

Eisenhower Park - Blue

Playing Partners - Marty and Pete

A great day for golf.  Sun is out, humidity is low, and no wind to speak of.


This was Marty's first round of the year.

Our tee time was 9:08.  After playing a nice round on Friday, I assumed  that today's round would be excellent!!

It was So-So.

Sometimes So-So bad, and sometimes So-So good.

For his first time out, Marty hit the ball pretty good.  His swing was smooth and he was making good contact.
Pete on the other hand was having issues.  Something was up with his eyes, where he had headaches and vertigo.  He was trying to tough it out - sometimes closing one eye, or the other.  But - he had to give up after 11 holes.  I gave him the number of an ophthalmologist so he could get checked out.  I'll have to call him Sunday to see how he's doing.

My round?  Well, the front nine was un-remarkable.  My drives were a bit off, but my irons and woods made up for that.  I was basically playing bogey golf, and ended the front nine with a 44.

The back nine started off great. A really nice drive, and a par.  Walked off that green feeling great!.

The 11th hole is a par 5 dogleg left, that has a fairway bunker at 100 yards out in the center of the fairway.  A really pretty hole.
Normally, I lay up on my 2nd shot to just outside that fairway bunker at hit a pitching wedge or 9 iron to the green.
Today, my drive was AWESOME!  I was in the middle of the fairway 230 yards out.  So, I did something I NEVER EVER do - I played outside my game and tried to fly that bunker and lay up to 60 yards.  Then it would be a chip and a putt for a birdie.
My 4-hybrid was crisp, and flew great..
and caught the lip of the bunker.
Crapola!

You know that feeling when you walk up to your ball and realize you fucked up?  Well, that's how I felt.

So, one moment I'm "seeing" a birdie in my mind, and the next I wind up with a double bogie.  This sat on my mind for the remainder of the day.
I don't mind making physical errors, after all - I'm not a pro.
But, those mental fuck-ups piss me off to NO END!!!

So, I limped my way in.  One par in the next 7 holes, and the rest single and double bogies.  

I finished with a 47 back 9, and 91 overall.  And a feeling that I left so many good shots out on the course today.

The other thing to note is the course - they really do not take care of it well.  If you see the photo of the bunker above, you'll notice that it's over grown, and not edged well.  Although the fairways are in pretty good shape, many of the greens still show signs of damage from the winter.
It's a shame.

So, my lesson learned today is - "Stay within your game".  Know your limits and play your game.
That's probably the best advice I can give anyone.
Don't get thoughts of grandeur.  If I had followed my own advice, I would have finished with a MOST an 89.  Maybe less.

So, I'll be playing tomorrow - Eisenhower Blue again.
3 rounds in a row - life is good.

Until tomorrow

Keep it in the Short Hairs

No comments:

Post a Comment